Friday, August 16, 2013

In the Beginning...

Our 6th grade play had that as the opening line.  My English teacher had some sort of obsession with it and us kids didn't get the cultural reference.  Yes, I grew up under a rock.  I ran the lights, so I didn't ever bother finding out where it came from.  I just pushed buttons when they told me to.  However, when starting something new I always think of that line and the somewhat terrifying music that came next, accompanied by the actors emerging as monkeys on stage.  No, I don't remember the rest of the play or what it meant.  I think we were studying the Egyptians or something and it ended up being a play about the evolution of man.  So here is the beginning of my personal quest to connect with both the professional world and the Mommy world, with a lot of myself attempting to excel at both.  Luckily being an HR Manager and a Mommy require a lot of the same negotiating/juggling/patience/refrain-from-screaming-"You have GOT to be kidding" skills.

I have decided to take the SPHR Certification exam.  For various reasons, I believe this is the next step in advancing my career.  I'm choosing to completely bypass the PHR certification as I meet the SPHR requirements.  I don't know if this is even allowed in the HR Certification world, but I'm a rebel like that so that's the plan.  I am also a chronic pre-planner, so before even taking the exam I'm worrying about recertifying in three years.  Recertification credit can be earned by "Research and Publishing" HR-related articles.  Blog posts totally count, so I began thinking about what kind of blog I wanted to have.  I've tried several... a family one when we only had one child and lived in the same state as our families (which crashed and burned once I realized I was writing posts, calling my parents to tell them what had happened, and also putting it on Facebook - all of which seemed redundant so the blog ended with the appearance of child #2), one about simplifying your life when we decided to pack up a 5,000 sq ft home and move it across the country to a 2 bedroom apartment and one income (I think I had one post on that... then we got to Maine and I realized our third child was about to make his appearance and I had 5,000 sq ft of our crap to decide what to do with), along with an Etsy shop I tried to open once.  I've tried to take someone else's idea and make it fit a need I didn't have, or take something I thought was cool but wasn't really invested in and make it relevant.  This time I wanted to have a professional blog, be the cutting-edge HR Leader I've always aspired to, fill the conventional mold of someone who is taken seriously as a strategic partner.  It would be sleek!  Modern!  Neutral-colors to appeal to everyone on the planet!  Let's take a heavy dose of reality here... I don't fit that mold.  I'm not conventional.  I'm probably one of the most sarcastic, crude HR people that exist (disclaimer: yes, I know when it's appropriate and when it's not.  For example, I believe I was well into the first week of my employment here before dropping a "That's what she said" during a meeting with my boss).  I'm also a mother and a wife.  If I'm going to stick with a blog, I need it to be a place where I can share the "OMG" happenings of both my professional and personal lives, the tips I find to make it work, and the moments that make my life the most perfect it can be.  Behold, my first attempt at doing something just for me and hoping it will benefit the other aspects of my life as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment