Friday, August 16, 2013

Spelling Errors

One thing you'll learn about me pretty quickly: I hate spelling/grammar errors.  They annoy me in things like common communication e-mails, they make my head explode when in resumes, cover letters, serious all-employee communications, company documents, solicitations, etc.  I'm hoping my brain matter splattered all over the writing will magically fix it.  If I ever make a mistake on here, PLEASE point it out to me and make fun of me.  Be harsh if you must, and return to pick on me again.

Recently I received a solicitation from the VP of Business Development at a local staffing agency.  The subject of the e-mail?  "Current Encumbant".  If this particular individual hadn't placed me in my current position, I would have immediately deleted it.  You've been doing this for 20+ years and cannot spell incumbent??!?!?!!  Don't use it.  Pick a different word.  That red squiggly line isn't emphasizing the smart use of a big word, it's warning you that I will NEVER IN MY LIFE consider doing business with you.  Employee would work well here and I bet you can spell it.


Today I received a cover letter and resume via mail.  Yes, this in itself is a bit shocking, but welcomed because I want to see who has the balls to randomly snail mail personal information to local businesses.  If you call me I will happily give out my e-mail address for you to send your information to.  I have also created a beautiful employment application for you to fill out if you stop by.  Seriously, it's pretty and I'm proud of it.  Please put your name on it and write "See Resume" so I feel better about making you fill out a form.  If you fax me your resume, I guarantee I will immediately put it in my "Not Qualified" file.  But mail?  You spent $0.46 to send this to me and I am happy to place it in my go-to stack of qualified applicants and add your e-mail address to my distribution list of open positions (unless you didn't include an e-mail address, then I'm going to assume you don't know how to use a computer, which is why you mailed me a copy instead of using e-mail, and thus are not qualified to work anywhere in my organization).  I am delighted to consider you... provided the first sentence of your cover letter does not have the word "conciencious" in it.  You get an "E" for effort and a nice, "Thanks, but we're looking at more qualified applicants" e-mail (or letter, if you're not into the computer thing.  I will return the courtesy of spending $0.46), plus you get the special bonus of having your error shared with everyone who walks in my office today.  Not your actual letter passed around, but the story turned into a valuable lesson for all employees to always proofread everything they send my way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment