Wednesday, August 21, 2013

More on Changing Lives

I received this article between meetings earlier today.  For those who don't wish to read an entire additional article, it is titled 5 Really Good Reasons You Should Consider Becoming a Mentor and the first one listed is, "You can change the world for someone."  The message struck a chord with me as I am in this transitional period in my career (and also fits nicely into this I wrote a few days ago).  I'm actually leading people for the first time, not just asking the receptionist to file a few things and make sure I have food for my open enrollment meetings.  I have been technically over people on the org chart before, but they never really acknowledged me as the one to give them feedback and be their manager.  I feel empowered to help my people become the best they can be.  I wrote this quote by Kris Dunn on a sticky and put it on my monitor: 
"I'm not here to just grind on you to get results.  I'm here to make you better, so you're going to have fun, make more $$ over time and accomplish your career goals while we get results for the company.  I'm willing to do that even if it means you promote yourself by taking a better job with another company because we made you better."  
I want to be the Change Agent for my team.  I want to be sad when they go, but not devastated and wondering how the hell our business is going to continue to run.  I want to support them and allow them to grow, whether that's by forcing them to be interchangeable with each other so they understand how one action affects the rest of the business or allowing them to shift their hours around school schedules.  I want to enable each of them to be confident and make decisions with the company's best interests in mind, and subtly remove the panic button when one of them wants to take a vacation.  Nobody should be chained to their job, there is so much more to life.  I never want them to feel like they can't take a day off or scoot out early on a day there are no providers in the office, provided they are keeping up with their work.  Others should understand their position enough to cover for an absence.  I want each of them to work on improvements and feel their contributions are weighty and appreciated.  I want to provide as much guidance as they would like and be available for them at all times, but not let them use me as a safety net.  I have dreams for them and our company, but mostly I want to help them attain their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment