Tuesday, August 27, 2013

New Directions

I'm switching things up a bit here.  For more professional content, please visit me here.  I also want to keep this one open for personal musings, but after stalking reading tips from some of my favorite bloggers and having a conversation with one of them I've decided that using too much personal in my professional blog just isn't gonna cut it for what I want to do.  No matter how much I want it to.  

I made the kids pancakes last night for dinner.  Dad was at a dinner, so the kids and I had scrambled eggs and apple cinnamon pancakes.  We also had a picnic in the front room while watching a movie.  All sorts of rules were broken at my house last night, but sometimes we just need to switch it up a bit.  I do, however, miss the time we spend at the table.  I still talked to them about their day and they helped make dinner, but there's just something about sitting down and sharing a meal together that solidifies our connections.  Mostly because they're all forced to sit still for 30 seconds.  I have this magical fairy-tale vision of us sitting around the table eating together, but let's be honest.  Out of seven tries a week, more on the weekends, this happens once, maybe twice.  I serve the kids first because they've been screaming at each other and at me like hungry savages and pillaging the fridge, making getting an actual meal put together nearly impossible.  Dad gets his next, because he's close behind desperately herding them and making sure they have forks while I dish.  By the time I get to dish mine someone realizes nobody has a drink, so I fill three cups with whatever beverage is demanded.  Typically three different beverages.  Just as I get my food and settle into my place at the table to enjoy some quality family time, three children announce they are, "ALL DONE!" and race off to their former squabbling over the same toy.  Well, so much for family time, but I can still spend the time with Hubby.  Nice try, Mom.  This is when they all decide that I need to know RIGHT NOW that Baby wants to give me a hug, or I have to break up a fight, or they start asking questions like, "What is the meaning of life?"  This doesn't happen all at once, of course.  This happens as soon as I'm ten seconds into telling Hubby about something that happened today, or he's just beginning to tell me about his, and continues in 30 or 60 second intervals throughout the rest of the night.  Yes, dear, my day was fine.  I hope yours was too.  Call me at 10:00 tomorrow morning after you've had your coffee and we'll discuss it then.  For now we need to hug Baby and explain life, because too soon my babies won't need Mom to break up their fights.

No comments:

Post a Comment